Warm meals on cold days are good for the soul. On the next cold day, why not try this delicious, satisfying and healthier option for a beef stew.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
A healthier version to beef stew that is just as delicious and easy to make with your slow cooker.
- Slow Cooker
- 3/4 cup whole wheat or chick pea flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 to 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 1/2 - 3 pounds *lean stew meat cut into small chunks - 1 - 1/2 inches
- 1 1/5 - 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium diced onion
- 4-6 cloves minced garlic
- 2 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups low sodium, organic beef broth
- 3 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 medium sweet potato cut into 1 inch chunks
- 4 whole carrots cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 stalks celery cut into i inch chunks
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt and ground pepper. Add the beef cubes and coat with mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat, and brown the meat in small batches.
- Add the meat to your slow cooker.
- In the pan used to brown meat, add the onion and cook for 2 minutes then add garlic and cook for 1 more minute, or until you can just smell the garlic.
- Add onion and garlic to slow cooker and stir to combine meat, then add the bay leaf.
- Add potatoes, carrots and celery and stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Pour beef broth into the slow cooker.
- Set your slow cooker on low for 6 hours or until meat is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Add chopped parsley to each dish just before serving.
*When shopping for meat, look for tough cuts of meat that are very lean so they don't break down in the slow cooker.